The busy schedules of both parents and kids make it difficult to have "family dinners" regularly. The benefits that come with regularly eating together at the table are a good reminder why the effort is so important. These are our top 5 reasons why you should make family dinners a priority:
1. Children who routinely have family dinners are less likely to start smoking and drinking, or have an eating disorder.
2. It takes 8-10 times of trying something new before kids develop a taste for it.
3. Studies show that setting time aside to have a family dinner can reduce stress.
4. Use dinner-time to get to know what's going on with your family members and stay close to them. Ask about the best part of their day and anything they might need help with.
5. Gratitude is strongly associated with happiness, and family meals are a great time to practice it. Have everyone at the table name one reason they're thankful today.